Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonic System Ultrasonic Cleaner

After years of tumbling using corn cob media and even giving stainless steel media a try, I decided it was time to get an ultrasonic cleaner. While some of the reloading component manufacturers have released ultrasonic cleaners during the past 24 months, I needed a cleaning unit that could do more than clean 100 pieces of brass at a time since I do reloading in cycles with 300-500 pieces of brass per barrel.

For many months, I have been tempted to buy a Crest Ultrasonic Cleaner, but whenever the urge to whip out the plastic came, the units I was interested in just happened to be out of stock at wholesalepoint.com which offers Crest Units at a discount so it caused delay in the decision.

A friend of mine found a unit from Sonic System Sales and took the plunge buying one for $635 delivered. He showed me some of the brass that he had run through it and I was impressed that it came out looking new without messing with trying to get the tumbling media out of flash holes.

Last week, I ordered the Sonic System Sales unit and yesterday it arrived.

So what can a person do in one day? I immediately starting cleaning. As my initial test batches, I cleaned 500 6mm Dasher cases, 400 .308 Winchester cases and 200 .300 Norma Magnum cases, all were heavily fouled inside. Rather than take the time to neatly stack the cases, I just dumped each type of brass in the basket as a batch.

I filled the tank with water, added some of the crest gun cleaner that came with the unit, turned on the heating unit and started the ultrasonics. Every 20 minutes I would stir the brass up and reset the 20 minute timer. I did 3 cycles with each type of brass and I was impressed how clean it was inside and out. I did have to change out the water using the built in drain (big plus) mid way through the 3 different batches and let me tell it was black from the powder fouling.

The Sonic System Sales unit comes with the following

1 qt of Crest Cleaning Concentrate
    1 gallon of Crest Lubricant
    Enough for approximately 150 gun cleanings!
    2 stainless steel baskets
    10.5 x 5.5 x 5.5 inches
    1 lube pan 11 x 6 x 6 inches
    2 covers
    stainless steel ball drain valve
    and detailed instructions.
    Capacity: Cleans up to
    2 full size pistols or
    2 Small revolvers or
    1 six inch revolver
    Specifications
    Power supply: 120V w/ detachable cord
    Ultrasonic power: 150W (average)
    Heater: 300W
    Frequency: 40 KHz w/ 3 transducers
    Internal tank size: 11L x 6W x 6H inches
    Overall tank size: 14.5L x 7W x 12H inches
    Timer dial w/ 1 to 20 minute and 'constant on' settings
    Temperature dial: 20-80C (clean at 50-55C)
    Warranty: 1 year limited parts/labor

The unit is made in China, but for $635 delivered, its $90 less than the base Crest CP500-HT (at discount) and with the Crest, you still need to buy the baskets, an extra tank and cleaners so the Sonic System Sales unit is hundreds of dollars less expensive. You do give up the Made in USA (actually only assembled with parts from Asia) of the Crest unit and the Crest has a 2 year warranty.

You can't go wrong buying a Crest Ultrasonic cleaner but if your reloading equipment buying list is competing for dollars with other items, the Sonic System Sales is a good option.
    Last edited by tx65; 03-05-2012, 08:04.

Originally posted by tx65 View Post
    You can't go wrong buying a Crest Ultrasonic cleaner but if your reloading equipment buying list is competing for dollars with other items, the Sonic System Sales is a good option.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=275960066
    You can't go wrong buying a Springfield Armory M1A, but if your shooting equipment buying list is competing for dollars with other items, the Polytech M14 is a good option.
    Last edited by Louis Boyd; 03-04-2012, 19:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis Boyd View Post
      http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=275960066
      You can't go wrong buying a Springfield Armory M1A, but if your shooting equipment buying list is competing for dollars with other items, the Polytech M14 is a good option.
      Well if Springfield Armory has parts made in Asia like Crest, it doesn't matter what you buy.

Of course, my RCBS Charge Master is made in Asia as I am sure the ultrasonic cleaners from Hornady are.

Comment

It's my view that US companies are just folding up under the weight of high taxes and regulations. If that's not turned around the US is dead. You can't run a country where a big portion of the populace is paid to not work by the part that does. I'd be an employer if it weren't for Federal paperwork, regulations, and taxes. I've automated everything I can in my small corporation and do the rest myself. My company will be dead if the government starts treating computers like they do humans.
        Buy America? Yes, where I still can.
        Last edited by Louis Boyd; 03-05-2012, 12:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis Boyd View Post
          It's my view that US companies are just folding up under the weight of high taxes and regulations..
          ​Ironic the EPA has helped drive manufacturing to a country where there is NO EPA and therefore polution in China is off the charts. And guess what....it all blows over here anyway. We just can't afford the health insurance when we get lung cancer now.

Comment

Working...
          X