Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The latest incarnation of my Varmint;)

Click image for larger version

Name:	fd2b6dc67565511d66aa41bcee3962ab.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	1288Click image for larger version

Name:	648d7398774877468726e67e0eb66cf8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1289
    ARFX skeleton stock, DPMS lower, MEGA billet side-charging upper w/ Y/M Nat'l Match SS side- charger BCG, Center Point 4.5-16x CenterPoint scope, Hogue overmold tube, 24" 1:8 5.56 Wylde chamber ss bull barrel.
    Next, WILL BE a PRS stock! (on this unit).
    MikeH

Well, finally broke down and ordered the PRS. Should be here mid-week! Then it will be a long range day (hopefully), as I will have reconfigured/built 2 out of 3 lowers and reconfigured 3 out of 4 uppers. Now all will need break-in/tuning.
    MikeH

Comment

Ok nobody said it so I will. Why do you invest so much time and money into this rifle then top it off with some of the cheapest glass out there? As a rule good glass will cost you almost as much or more then the rifle it goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Maine04657 View Post
        Ok nobody said it so I will. Why do you invest so much time and money into this rifle then top it off with some of the cheapest glass out there? As a rule good glass will cost you almost as much or more then the rifle it goes on.
        1) Because spending the BIG $$ on a gun enables me to get it set up the way I want, AND be able to shoot it. Having a scope sitting on a shelf waiting on something to go under it does me no good.
        2) By using an inexpensive scope it allows me to test features that I think I want without blowing my wallet. When I find the type of scope that fits me, then I will go for some really good glass if I decide if it is needed.

Right now I don't need an expensive scope. After the rifle is broke in and I've learned it's quirks, and the scope that's on it is limiting performance, then it will be time to upgrade.
        MikeH

Comment

Originally posted by talonhead View Post
          1) Because spending the BIG $$ on a gun enables me to get it set up the way I want, AND be able to shoot it. Having a scope sitting on a shelf waiting on something to go under it does me no good.
          2) By using an inexpensive scope it allows me to test features that I think I want without blowing my wallet. When I find the type of scope that fits me, then I will go for some really good glass if I decide if it is needed.

Right now I don't need an expensive scope. After the rifle is broke in and I've learned it's quirks, and the scope that's on it is limiting performance, then it will be time to upgrade.
          MikeH
          ???? So you buy the rifle parts you want build it that way you want but your going to break it in with scope you plan to replace later? If that works for you I guess it is good seems like a bit of a odd path to me. When I build a rifle I build it the way I plan to use it sometimes this means I do change parts but that is not because they where not what I wanted but where not preforming as I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by talonhead View Post
            I have never been an avid scope user before. And with all the different types out there, I should probably find out what reticle format and scope features will work for me and the type shooting I do, prior to spending alot of $$.
            $60 now to learn how this scope works (i.e. training myself), discovering if it is the correct type for me and my type of shooting. Then maybe $200++ later IF this scope requires me to upgrade due to it's performance limits.
            MikeH

Comment

You labeled it a VARMINT rifle. This means smaller targets are longer ranges. AS a general rule this means going with a higher power mildot scope ( you should learn to use mildots if your varmint hunting or long range shooting) to let you make the most out of your rifles abilities. A good scope for this will run you at least a grand going up to four times that for the higher end ones. When I break in a rifle I want the scope that that let me use the rifle to what it's capabilities are. I am a varmint hunter Yotes. I hunt them all year and most are over 100 yards but have shot them out to around 500.

Comment

I agree. Why spend the money twice when you can research it and do it correctly the first time. A cheap scope has ZERO place on a real varmint rifle. While I disagree that you need to spend $1k+ on one to get what you need I think that getting an absolute cheapie will never do that gun justice and may sour your initial impression of the gun if the scope cannot even hold a zero worth a damn. I have always liked Leupold and they have worked well and held zero for me over the years. You can get a nice Vari-X III for a few hundred and it compliment your rifle quite nicely. There are other brands that offer other nice scopes in an affordable range less than $1k too. Also unless you have a really large face that scope appears to be mounted higher than necessary. That isn't conducive to a proper cheek weld to the stock which is also a key to precision. That may not matter as much after the new stock but something to think about.
                Last edited by rocket5979; 09-21-2012, 23:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Maine04657
                  You labeled it a VARMINT rifle. ......
                  The barrel configuration is "VARMINT".
                  Evidently people need to learn how to read AND understand what is writen. Then, not repeatedly pound on something to get it to change to their will when it's not their's to change.

Originally posted by rocket5979
                  Also unless you have a really large face that scope appears to be mounted higher than necessary. That isn't conducive to a proper cheek weld to the stock which is also a key to precision. That may not matter as much after the new stock but something to think about.
                  The stock change makes it much better with the adjustable comb.
                  ------------------------------------------------

If all ya'll can do is Bit*h about my scope, keep it to yourselves.
                  Otherwise, the Moderator can close this thread.
                  MikeH

Comment

So you do not like advise you do not like critique of any type and you know exactly what your doing. That about it? I have been building firearms for more the a quarter century I have built them for many folks and myself as well. You titled the rifle varmint thus we took you at your word. You call the rifle what it is not the barrel couture I have no pencil ar's though I own ar's with pencil barrels. I own ar's with bull barrels but have never referred to a ar as a bull nor have a heard some do this? Then to varmint IF you call it a varmint then every gun person knows your shooting varmints with it as that is what one woudl do with a varmint rifle. You might want to learn how to correctly use the terminology before trying to berate a person who used it correctly. All posts where trying to impart information to you to make your experience better using the information we have learned already. So you can complain about it but remember you posted in a open forum. People in most any forum will give you advice, hints and tips when you post that is what forums are information sharing.

Comment

Some of us have to pay and learn as we go: I get that the op would rather have a working firearm than wait until he spends the money a nicer scope to break in his new gun.

What's So hard to grasp about enthusiasm? Waving calendars and talking about 4k scopes isnt the topic of this guy's thread. It takes a ten year-old to criticize like that and I didnt see a thing constructive about it. Wanna give advice? Say it once and leave it at that.

Nice rifle, man! ENJOY it! :)

Comment

When you post in a forum your going to get feedback. When you try to tell those who know and have been doing this along time that they are wrong about something your going to get called out. When you post information your going to get feedback and recommendations on that post by people who have been there done that and are simply sharing that information they have. You can take the advice or not but trying to tell them they are wrong when obviously you do not have a understanding of the subject is folly. So if you choose to not take the advice or recommendation that is fine but do not try to justify yourself with misinformation or lies.

Comment

Talonhead-

I've got one of these scopes as well. I did the same thing you're doing. 300 yard shots are fine w/ it and I have even shot to about 550yds w/ it. I could see the pumpkin fine at that range, but a coyote I think would be very hard to see that far. But 300 is doable. I do see where Maine is coming from. I had wished many times yote hunting I would've coughed up the cash right away. But the center point is fine for my .22lr, so she has a permanent home.

-Zach

Comment

I sure hope Talonhead is still around and wasn't discouraged from the forum..

In years past I know I would have been similarly lacking in sensitivity in regards to use of cheap stuff, just to be able to afford more.. Personally, I have very long been one who believes in quality over quantity.. However, we must be compassionate for those who are satisfied with the cheap stuff (we will just call it)..

I long ago learned buy quality, and buy once, but until it breaks, there is little difference in using a high dollar scope vs. a cheap one for plinking and just having fun.. Yeah, I know the higher $$ scope have so much better spec's in all regards.. Trust me I know.. I am somewhat of a Leupold snob.. This doesn't mean the cheap stuff isn't ok to use..

So Talonhead, don't get discouraged by some on this forum.. You have a nice looking rifle.. So how does it shoot?? Flk k

Comment

Important thing is to get out and enjoy shooting.

Some people could start the other side of argument against me having Schmidt & Bender optics on a couple of my competition rifles and how lower price scopes are just as good and I wasted my money.

While I have never heard of the brand Talonhead bought, I really don't spend the time keeping up with all the different optic brands that hit the market. Lets face it can be overwhelming and honestly, what works for me for a specific application may not work for anyone else. If something works for you, go with it and don't worry about what others say. You know what they say about opinions.

Comment

Working...
                              X