X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic Arms upper in .460 Rowland?

I have an Olympic Arms upper in .45 ACP on a Spikes Tactical lower (M4 style buttstock) with a tungsten buffer. I would like to deepen the chamber to .460 Rowland. The question is, will this conversion work? I would rather not try empiric observation and find out it won't. The Rowland operates at about double the pressure of a standard .45 ACP. What do you think? Worth a go,or not? Shawn

Is this a 'just because' gun or are you needing the increased ballistics for black bear hunting or something?

Comment

Olympic Arms upper in .460 Rowland

I suppose it is a "just because" thing. I like the idea Jeff Cooper had for his "Thumper Carbine". There have been several carbines chambered in .460 like the Magtech conversion that uses a pistol as the lower firing group. Masterpiece Arms chambered a MAC-10 type pistol and carbine in .460. I shoot Cor-Bon +P 185 gr. loads most of the time (or handloaded equivalent) from my AR now and think the increase in power would be useful for home defense or whatever. Shawn

Comment

Why not go 45 super. Brass is stronger and case is the same length.

Comment

http://www.concealco.com/ccu_460row.html
          Rowland brass is longer and stronger than 45 ACP brass. 45 Super brass is the same length as 45 ACP but yes, it is stronger. 45 Super is only slightly warmer than 45 +P. I like the performance of the Rowland. Shawn

Comment

I think you answered the question by stating that the 460 Rowland operates at double the pressure of the 45 ACP which the gun was built for.

I am sure Olympic would tell you don't do it.
            Last edited by tx65; 10-14-2011, 07:09.

Comment

I've split a Oly 45 barrel with factory loads. The wall of the barrel is too thin.

Comment

Originally posted by tpk View Post
                I've split a Oly 45 barrel with factory loads. The wall of the barrel is too thin.
                Or the barrel is inferior....

Comment

What lower mag combination are you using to feed your Oly .45? I ask as if it is the new plastic mags it won't work with a DI upper......but if you are using the old modded UZI mags, or a Cav 15 with grease gun mags or a CNC guns AR45 lower......then a DI upper is definitely an option and it will definitely handle the pressure......

While it isn't a readily available commercial solution, I'll be building one in the next couple of months.....in time to go pig hunting after it gets colder .....and probably could be talked into a duplicate.

Comment

Don't know if they are even in business anymore (website dated 2009) but Bazooka Brothers lists a DI 45 upper. They even list it in a left hand version. http://eisman.webhost4life.com/store/index.html bottom half of page.

Comment

I've built one or two of them as well.......

Comment

What about someone making a .45 win mag upper?
                        It seems to me to be a real sleeper of a ctg.

Terry

Comment

Sorry, what

you are right

Comment

I can give you an example of my conversion of my mech tech 45 acp upper to 460 Rowland.
                            I had picked up a Clark Rowland kit for a 1911 and decided I would like my Mech Tech in 460 also.
                            I contacted Mech tech and talked to one of their Tech guys (Very helpful and very good service from them by the way). I was hopping the barrel would convert and maybe have to replace the recoil spring and maybe bolt/carrier assembly.
                            It turned out for the Mech Tech all I had to do was ream out the chamber to 460 depth and replace the pins that hold the bolt/carrier together, minr had roll pins and needed solid steel.
                            I was suprised that the recoil spring was the same. I got a 45 acp reamer and lengthed the chamber and replaced the pins.
                            Apparently the increased pressure retains the case untill the pressure drops before the case releases from the chamber so the blowback action works the same with both a 45 acp load or the Rowland load.
                            I have shot a fair amount of both Rowland and 45 acp after conversion. All works great. Can't tell much diff in how far the cases are ejected. I can feel a slight diff in felt recoil in the 460 but see no problems at all after the conversion.

I see on the Oly site that yours is also a blowback action. I wish I could tell you yours would work the same but have only the experience with the Mech Tech but I do wonder since they both have the same action if you might have similar results.

What have the folks from Oly said?

Jerry

Comment

Oly has no interest in anything that is not their proprietery chamberings. I asked, "why no 6.5
                              Grendel?". They only pointed out that their WSSM based calibers were superior. I contacted
                              Masterpiece Arms directly and they said, "yes, all that was required was to lengthen the chamber
                              and possibly add an AR-10 (.308) buffer spring'. I've been looking for a gunsmith who would
                              deepen the chamber at a reasonable price. I've put this project on the back burner for a while as
                              I've gotten into other things. (IDPA) Shawn

Comment

Working...
                              X