X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add 30 Herrett-AR to the mix

The 6.8 case is a good size for AR15 cats. Marty of Teppo Jitsu made a 30HRT(Herrett rimless tactical) several years ago. It didn't go far but we're going to give it another shot. It will better the 300 BLK with the same weight bullets by over 200fps(125gr at 25-2600 from a 16" barrel). It is not meant to be a sub-sonic range toy but a hunting cartridge with 11 twist 5R rifled barrels.
    It will use the old 30 Herrett reloading dies already on the market and 6.8 mags.

I like my blackout and don't consider it to be a range toy. It's accurate and I am convinced it will perform perfectly on deer and bear for me.

Comment

I have both short ( 9 inch ) and long ( 18 inch ) 300 uppers. Both preform very well at 100 yards with subs or fp loads. I have also used the 18 to reach out to 300 yards my best group so far with factory fp Remington ammo was just a bit over moa. The major reason the 300 woudl be my choice over many other in this class is because you can use it with subs. I have shot cloverleafs at 100 yards with a 9 inch suppressed upper with factory Remington ammo off the bench. With incredibly Hollywood quiet sound levels.

Comment

I put a 30 HRT together for myself!
        My Wife liked it so much, I'm now building one for her.
        I'm gettring 2600 fps from the hunting Nosler 125 BT.
        I KNOW it works, I'v taken several deer with the std 30 herrett in a T/C.

Respectfully
        Terry

Comment

The list of things that "better" the 300 blackout is a mile long. The list of things that do it in an AR with more common parts isn't. The 7.62x40 WT asks that you use "special" mags also. I really wish everything wasn't compared to a blackout, it's really not that great of a round. If your using .556 bolts, and mags then compare yourself to a blackout. if not there must be a bazillion calibers to compare the next best thing to.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireside View Post
            I put a 30 HRT together for myself!
            My Wife liked it so much, I'm now building one for her.
            I'm gettring 2600 fps from the hunting Nosler 125 BT.
            I KNOW it works, I'v taken several deer with the std 30 herrett in a T/C.

Respectfully
            Terry
            Exactly, it's for guys that like a 30 cal bullet.

The 11 twist means supersonic use only, using subsonic loads for hunting doesn't work very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Constructor View Post
              Exactly, it's for guys that like a 30 cal bullet. The 11 twist means supersonic use only, using subsonic loads for hunting doesn't work very well.
              The 30 Herett has 35 grains capacity with a 1.604" case length. The 300 BLK has about 27 grains capacity and 1.368" case length. For shooting supersonic with light bullets the Herett has a definite advantage over the 300 BLK.

Subsonic loads with heavy bullets are practical for hunting with the 300 BLK but a subsonic 30 Herett would give less energy and poorer accuracy.

If I want to shoot 30 cal supersonic I can choose from a 308 Win, 30-06, 300 Win Mag 300 RUM, or 30-378 Wby. In an AR-15 a 300 OSSM. If I want a wimpy supersonic 30 cal I have an M1 Carbine. I have no interest in owning a supersonic 30 Herett or a supersonic 300 BLK.
              Last edited by Louis Boyd; 07-11-2012, 12:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis Boyd View Post

Subsonic loads with heavy bullets are practical for hunting with the 300 BLK but a subsonic 30 Herett would give less energy and poorer accuracy.
                How do you figure a 30 cal bullet going 1050 fps out of a 30 Herrett has less energy than a 30 cal bullet going 1050fps out of a 300blk?

Shoot a 308 or 300RSAUM out of a AR15 lately?

Comment

Hrt

The HRT does have a place on my build list. I've got some 10" 1:10 twist blanks waiting for a home. The 30 Herrett parts are readily available and you don't need a lot of special stuff to build one. Performance is what it is, just like fun!

Comment

In MN here, we can't have suppressors, so I am interested in supersonic only. Which round, between the BLK or the HRT, would be better with 150 grain bullets?

I looked at data.hodgdon.com and they have no load data for the 150's in BLK.

Comment

In the 80's we shot actuall PALLETT loads of Speer 30 cal 150's from the "standard"30 Herrett Contenders . They shot very well at 200 yards ( longest distance for sillouett.)
                      You hit a 55# steel ram at 200 yards and they had no problem knocking them over!LOL!!
                      We were getting @2,000-2,100fps from a 10" bbl.
                      Respectfyuly
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Laserbait View Post
                        In MN here, we can't have suppressors, so I am interested in supersonic only. Which round, between the BLK or the HRT, would be better with 150 grain bullets?

I looked at data.hodgdon.com and they have no load data for the 150's in BLK.
                        "Better" is a subjective term given how much in love some folks are with their 300 BLK.

If your only metric is velocity. With longer 150gr bullets it appears that the velocity edge goes to the HRT. Shorter goes to the BLK, both being limited to 2.26 COL. QL gives the BLK a safe pressure limity of 50,763 and the HRT 39,987, so they're not apples and apples with most powders. While the HRT uses a fatter parent case, it can't take advantage of that increased powder capacity because it is limited in pressure compared to the BLK. Barrel lenght factors in also.

For my way of thinking, if the cost to set up a functioning rig was not a factor, I'd go with the HRT as I ike fatter, lower pressure solutions. If cheap and easy is a determining factor, for the little velocity spread, the BLK wins hands down.

I have no dog in the fight.

It gets back to qualifying "Better".

This is someone else' work, not mine:

Hoot
                        Last edited by Hoot; 10-03-2012, 13:49. Reason: More info

Comment

Respectfully, Hoot, take the HRT up to 50,000#.
                          The brass will take it, its the "pistol" statis of the ctg that limited it to 39,000#.
                          I have 2,600 fps with a 125 gr Nosler A-max bullett. No pressure signs.
                          Took a 150 Sierra to 2,600, also with no pressure signs.
                          I shot a few of both from my old 10" contender, no pressure signs, and extraction was good.
                          I'v got one lot of 20 pieces of brass that have been loaded over 10 times each, and they are still going strong

Respectfully
                          Terry
                          Last edited by Tripledeuce; 10-03-2012, 17:33. Reason: add

Comment

Thanks! I was equating velocity with better. Also, it should go without saying that it needs to be accurate too. :)

Comment

Pressure

Main difference from the steel shooting days is that the HRT uses 6.8SPC brass which will run the higher pressures than the Herrett 30-30 brass. I had a 7mmIntR that shot like a house of fire and would take rams with authority. The question or general statement from the OP was the HRT has a place in the AR platform. Lots of thing change when we limit ourselves to the AR platform with the 2.260" OAL and the trade off on the bolt face vs pressure issue with the limit in size (for the majority of us anyway). The Whisper / Blackout has a spot, as designed, as a subsonic round. The Tokarev does also. When we go super sonic we run up against the design constraints mentioned above. The AR 15 is not a 30-06 just like a 45 ACP is not a 44 Mag. Within that window the 30HRT, in super sonic, beats the Whisper/Blackout on pure numbers. Loaded singularly the HRT can run the heavy bullets like we do with the AR Toks and 7TCU AR's. With the AR platform and the use of "stock parts" the HRT looks to be the best compromise giving us hobby builders a high velocity 30 caliber. But let's not forget the 7.62x39..........

Comment

Working...
                              X