Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get the pepper pot muzzle break off the Beowulf that AA put on?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Unconfigured Ad Widget Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get the pepper pot muzzle break off the Beowulf that AA put on?

How do I get the Allen screws out to take off AA's 50 Beowulf pepper pot muzzle break? I went at it, heated it with a heat gun for awhile 2 times each time trying to unscrew the Allen screws with Allen keys. The damn thing ruined my Allen keys so any ideas?
    Last edited by Danistheman123; 12-06-2012, 22:57.

They might have used loctite 271 or 272 on it or something similar. It takes about 450 degrees to loosen it.

Comment

Originally posted by sodbuster View Post
      They might have used loctite 271 or 272 on it or something similar. It takes about 450 degrees to loosen it.
      I assumed that they used loctite, I took a heat gun and heated pretty dang hot and the Allen screws didn't even budge. The craftsman Allen keys I used would get ruined. Any ideas?

Comment

Do you care if you ruin the brake?

Comment

Do you care if you ruin the brake?
          Well it's AA's pepper pot break should I care about it? Or is it a piece of junk? Or should I think about reselling it or what?

Comment

You need a bench vise, barrel jaws, a 12" or 14" pipe wrench, a leather welding jacket to cover upper, masking tape around barrel, and a welder.....

Comment

You need a bench vise, barrel jaws, a 12" or 14" pipe wrench, a leather welding jacket to cover upper, masking tape around barrel, and a welder.....
              What am I supposed to do with a welder on this? Welders are used to bond metals not take them apart lol and I'm not gonna mess up my barrel

Comment

A welder is also a way to put massive amount of heat into steel quickly. Much faster then any acetylene torch. A tig would be best. You use the arc to heat the brake fast and spin it off.

Comment

A welder is also a way to put massive amount of heat into steel quickly. Much faster then any acetylene torch. A tig would be best. You use the arc to heat the brake fast and spin it off.
                  Well I gotta get the Allen screws out first and that what I'm having trouble with. Do I gotta heat it red hot?

Comment

I don't have a welder and don't have the money for one, any other ideas?

Comment

Can you find out if AA used Rocksett on it. If so you can let the brake soak in a cup of water over night. If it is loctite you could get a torch that uses MAP gas to heat up the brake till you see some smoke. It should turn off then. The torch and gas will cost $30.

Comment

You have to apply a pretty stupid amount of heat to get it loose. Usually I heat the brake with a MAP torch until the Loctite around the screws goes liquid then remove the screws, then put a 3/16" steel rod through two of the holes and try to turn the brake while heating it all the way around, as soon as the Loctite softens the brake will slip off. If you hit a dead end you can send the upper to us and we'll remove it, some of them are a royal PITA to remove.

Comment

Can you find out if AA used Rocksett on it. If so you can let the brake soak in a cup of water over night.
                          Don't soak Rocksett secured parts, it'll cause rust. The trick is to dip it in boiling water, removes it almost instantly

Comment

Ok I bought a map gas torch. I just finished getting it off : ). Now I found out the damn barrel isn't even threaded!! :( how much does king armory charge to thread beowulf barrels? Also anyone know how long the wait is? Or should I just take it to my local gunsmith?

Comment

I was going to tell you, if it is THAT hard to get off, it is a 'permanently' attached break and not a thread on with a set screw design.
                              Lucky you got it off with MAPP.

Comment

Working...
                              X