Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

458 socom problems

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Unconfigured Ad Widget Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 458 socom problems

    I'm new here so forgive me if I've not posted this in the right place.
    I just test fired a new factory assembled RRA 458 socom midlength upper on a RRA lower that I assembled myself and I am having some troubles.

    First, when I try to eject an unfired round from the chamber a significant amount off force is required to open the bolt.

    Second, every third round or so fails to feed and ends up in a canted position with the bullet just barely starting into the chamber and the case rim atop the next round in the magazine.

    Third, the bolt does not hold open after the last round is fired.

    I am firing factory 300grn. Corbon ammo.

  • #2
    How new is that ammo? There have been a few bunk batches of CORBON ammo (And continues to be a problem so I've read) that has bulged necks from bunk loading... it is a known issue, and they should replace the ammo if thats the case.

    The way you check, is to lock the bolt open, and hand feed a single round into the chamber. Is there a lost of resistance? There should be minimal, if any. Also, do you notice any scratches/pitting on the brass that does eject? It could be that you might have a "Rough" chamber. It's not common, but it has happened.

    Many of the batches coming out of CORBON don't headspace correctly either...

    As far as the bolt not locking open... I find that some magazines just don't do it. Most of the GI mags that I use do, but the Pmags are hit/miss...



    My advice is to try to get CORBON to refund you're money if possible, or get them to replace you're ammo till it's right... and then from now on get you're ammo from SBR.

    Also, if you are not reloading, it would be something to consider. There isn't much in the way of factory ammo with the 458... and with the CORBON issues, and the price of factory ammo to begin with, getting into reloading that round will put you far ahead price wise in no time.
    Last edited by TonyM; 04-25-2011, 01:41.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rustwa View Post
      I'm new here so forgive me if I've not posted this in the right place.
      I just test fired a new factory assembled RRA 458 socom midlength upper on a RRA lower that I assembled myself and I am having some troubles.

      First, when I try to eject an unfired round from the chamber a significant amount off force is required to open the bolt.

      Second, every third round or so fails to feed and ends up in a canted position with the bullet just barely starting into the chamber and the case rim atop the next round in the magazine.

      Third, the bolt does not hold open after the last round is fired.

      I am firing factory 300grn. Corbon ammo.
      Some suggestions, if an empty magazine inserted in the rifle wont hold the bolt open, try a a different magazine to see if you have a bad magazine. The fail to feed could also be related to the magazine.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tx65 View Post
        Some suggestions, if an empty magazine inserted in the rifle wont hold the bolt open, try a a different magazine to see if you have a bad magazine. The fail to feed could also be related to the magazine.
        The bolt holds open everytime when I insert the unloaded magazine. I,ve give everything a thorough cleaning and have cycled the bolt 100 plus times without failure. I'll be heading to the range tommorrow with the hope that it is just a break-in related problem.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TonyM View Post
          The way you check, is to lock the bolt open, and hand feed a single round into the chamber. Is there a lost of resistance? There should be minimal, if any. Also, do you notice any scratches/pitting on the brass that does eject? It could be that you might have a "Rough" chamber. It's not common, but it has happened.
          I think you may be on to it. There is a noticeble rough spot about .500" into the chamber and the ejected shells bare an artifact of that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Sounds like the bolt is short stroking. If there is a rough spot in the chamber that is showing on the brass after firing then that may just be slowing down the bolt on ejection. this will give the results you are seeing. If that is the case you may want to talk to a gun smith or RRA to correct the problem.

            Comment


            • #7
              RRA is VERY good to deal with on any kind of warranty related issues. Regardless of if that is the root of the problems you're experiencing, you're going to want to get that chamber smoothed/polished...

              Because the SOCOM doesn't produce a ton of pressure (35k is suggested), the brass can get hung up on a rough chamber, more so than a bolt rifle, or even a 223 AR for that matter, that pushes over 50k.

              Comment

              Working...
              X