X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preban lower

So are preban lowers still worth a bit more nowadays since AWB is long gone? I have a DPMS preban lower that's got a 4 digit serial number on it and appears to have very very little use since it was mounted on a rifle that's thrown <200 rounds. I was just curious if it's value was same as, more, or less then the average mil spec lower.

Originally posted by TRS View Post
    So are preban lowers still worth a bit more nowadays since AWB is long gone? I have a DPMS preban lower that's got a 4 digit serial number on it and appears to have very very little use since it was mounted on a rifle that's thrown <200 rounds. I was just curious if it's value was same as, more, or less then the average mil spec lower.
    If an AR-15 lower was manufactured before 1968 and registered as a transferable class III machine gun it's worth thousands of dollars in just about any condition. Other than that there may be some collector value for early military lowers. The brand and condition are most important to the present value. In general quality of the metallurgy, machining, and coatings has improved with modern technology although that varies with the manufacturer. I wouldn't be afraid of buying a preban lower receiver but I wouldn't pay a premium price for it.

Comment

Depends on location and person buying. for a lot of the country the whole preban post ban thing died with the sun set of the Assault weapon ban.

For any one in my state it is just a used lower in good condition. In another state with different laws it may fetch a higher price.

Comment

Since I live in one of those archaic states, I'd be interested in it if the price was reasonable.

Comment

new york, and a couple other states still have AWB bans of there own in affect. I have seen prebans sell for $350 to $600 range depending on condition, brand, and desire of the buyer to get it. I saw a add awhile back on another forum were someone was moving to Connecticut I believe, well, they were wanting to trade the newer model SBR for a preban receiver that they could register as a SBR in the new state.....even with a SBR they had to have the preban to have all the evil features.

Comment

Originally posted by desertfox2001 View Post
            new york, and a couple other states still have AWB bans of there own in affect. I have seen prebans sell for $350 to $600 range depending on condition, brand, and desire of the buyer to get it. I saw a add awhile back on another forum were someone was moving to Connecticut I believe, well, they were wanting to trade the newer model SBR for a preban receiver that they could register as a SBR in the new state.....even with a SBR they had to have the preban to have all the evil features.
            Is a person in such states allowed to just purchase a real preban lower from an out of state seller? Who certifies it really is a "preban" assault weapon since the date of manufacture of the lower receiver isn't necessarily definitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis Boyd View Post
              Is a person in such states allowed to just purchase a real preban lower from an out of state seller? Who certifies it really is a "preban" assault weapon since the date of manufacture of the lower receiver isn't necessarily definitive.
              All of those states require that it was in the state prior to the ban going into effect. Those states that don't require registration will not allow the transfer through an FFL. Remember that the only way to legally transfer a firearm between states is through an FFL, regardless of the state you live in.

Comment

Originally posted by meteu271 View Post
                All of those states require that it was in the state prior to the ban going into effect. Those states that don't require registration will not allow the transfer through an FFL. Remember that the only way to legally transfer a firearm between states is through an FFL, regardless of the state you live in.

So if you purchase a gun private party in one state and take to another state that is illegal?

Comment

Originally posted by Plox View Post
                  So if you purchase a gun private party in one state and take to another state that is illegal?
                  Transfer from one owner to another in another state.

Comment

Originally posted by meteu271 View Post
                    Transfer from one owner to another in another state.
                    In one word answer YES, unless you were a resident of the state that you bought it in at the time of purchace............... Thats what is causing the shit fit with Mexico. Private buys ending up in Mexico, and a few not so reputable dealers but there ass is in the ATF frying pan.

In Minnesota if you do a private purchase with someone and they go shoot someone within one year of the sale your ass is on the hook also for the murder. The only way to transfer is through a dealer or FFL then the slate is wiped clean.

A lower just buy it self is concidered a firearm.

Comment

Working...
                    X