Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 338 federal build

Am working on a 338fed build and have everything in hand except the barrel which has been ordered. I specd it at .800 muzzle and 16 1/4" long. It is a DPMS build. Was wondering what everyone's thoughts on the barrel length are. Too late to change anything but it is a hunting build. Carbine gas system with adjustable gas block and rifle length handguard. Gona use 200gr bullets, at least that is the plan right now.

If it were my gun I would have gone with a 18" or 20" length. For hunting I do not think a 22" is going to get you much more out of the 338. If it were a 260 Remington I would go with 20" or 22", but the .264 cal seem to need more runway to gain the velocity. 16" with the 308, or 338 gets a little blasty for my liking, and even in thick brush we have here in Oregon a 16" is not necessary for getting around.

Comment

Earl , my I ask where you ordered your barrel , I would like to do a 18" in 338 fed myself . The suppliers I'm finding are a little steep

Comment

I had Jim at Apache Gun Works do it for me. I think it was 250 and i supplied the extension. Did a good job on mine and i would recommend him. If i understand things right his son also turns barrels. He didn't say but i believe mine is a green mountain but he will make a barrel out of any maker you want if he can get the blank. Cost varies by barrel maker.

Comment

X Caliber said 6 to 10 weeks on a 338 federal or 356 Win barrels .

Comment

Originally posted by xacex View Post
            If it were my gun I would have gone with a 18" or 20" length. For hunting I do not think a 22" is going to get you much more out of the 338. If it were a 260 Remington I would go with 20" or 22", but the .264 cal seem to need more runway to gain the velocity. 16" with the 308, or 338 gets a little blasty for my liking, and even in thick brush we have here in Oregon a 16" is not necessary for getting around.
            What it is, is big bores cause the pressure drop more rapid as the bullet moves down the bore creating more volume. One reason you don't see big velocity gains with longer barrels in big bores. The cartridge must have a large volume of powder to increase the velocity substantially. Small bores total opposite. Large powder capacity on them then creates overbore.

Comment

well she drew blood Saturday nite. 200-250lb sow. dropped in her tracks and sure taste good on the smoker.
              225gr sst and the ATN X-sight. bad thing is i forgot to start the video before i shot.
              Last edited by earl39; 07-12-2016, 15:59.

Comment

After cleaning i got to thinking about the great neck shot i placed on this hog and realized i was aiming for the shoulder. Was wondering if the X-sight was not holding zero. Have changed scopes and with my Sightron i found the load printed like a sawed off shotgun. I tried to rework the load to no avail. Changed from ball powder to IMR-4064 and with a rather light load of 40grs under a 225gr SST in reformed 7.62x51 WCC 06 brass and a nice crimp from my LFC die it is now shooting 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 130 yards. Will have to work on the 200gr SST as the 40gr load spread them out a bit.

Comment

Working...
                X