Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nealio I talked the Arne the designer and he said to mic the case in the extractor and tell us the expansion there. He also said he's glad I told you to keep the oil out of the chamber and off the cases. Let me know what that extractor groove mic's at.

Comment

yeah I'm using a set of Verniers. Yeah I'm kindof stumped right now. I don't want to go around shooting loads slower than a 450 Bushmaster. The whole point of this cartridge was to shoot hotter loads, but if all this is true even a 450 Bushmaster load is borderline. Maybe I need to ditch the H110? Nobody has given me any suggestions, except Arne who said to use 5744, but that yielded very low velocities.

I'll mic the extractor groove
      Last edited by Nealio; 11-25-2015, 20:50.

Comment

Nealio here are some 4227 loads from the Hodgdon's website you might try. Hodgdon said the test barrel was 10.743 inches long so your velocities should be a lot higher.
        Starting load is 36.0 grs 4227 1,852
        49,000 PSI

Max is 40.0C grs compressed.
        1,988 57,000 psi

OAL is 2.160 inches.

There are loads from Accurate Powders online too that use their powders that you might try.

Comment

Here is the link for Accurate Powder reloading data:
          http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...d_data_3.5.pdf

Comment

Nealio I'm not seeing a new post on what those extractor groove measurements are. Don't forget give me a new case extractor groove measurement too. I don't necessarily agree with Arne on measuring the extractor groove and I will tell you why. That groove is around the primer hole. A large rifle primer measures around .210. The solid portion right in front of the extractor groove only has the primer flash hole through it and that measures say around .080. You can see then that the solid web part right ahead of the extractor groove has much more metal. It think the extractor groove area can be expanded much easier. The preferred method is where I told you to measure. This is from Hodgdon:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/relo...-rifle-reloads

Comment

Was the issue ever corrected?
              I am interested in this round and research shows a lot of issues with the pressure and magazines.

Comment

Well part of the problem was the follower I got was faulty. The higher side was too low, causing the rounds to have pressure against the outside wall of the case, which then caused the rim of the case to get grabbed by the ribs on the mag. I compared the follower to a DPMS follower and the higher side of the ASC mag was .1" lower than the DPMS. I had my brother design me a new follower. Honestly the follower setup that these mags come with is garbage.
                Then secondly the barrel extension had a ton of sharp edges, which would dig into the case and cause feeding issues. I took the rifle apart and polished the barrel extension lugs up and it feeds much smoother now. I haven't live fired it yet though. Hopefully this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Nealio View Post
                  Well part of the problem was the follower I got was faulty. The higher side was too low, causing the rounds to have pressure against the outside wall of the case, which then caused the rim of the case to get grabbed by the ribs on the mag. I compared the follower to a DPMS follower and the higher side of the ASC mag was .1" lower than the DPMS. I had my brother design me a new follower. Honestly the follower setup that these mags come with is garbage.
                  Do you have any info on what he used or pictures of the new follower?

Originally posted by Nealio View Post
                  Then secondly the barrel extension had a ton of sharp edges, which would dig into the case and cause feeding issues. I took the rifle apart and polished the barrel extension lugs up and it feeds much smoother now. I haven't live fired it yet though. Hopefully this weekend.
                  Please let us know how it goes.

Comment

Alot in this post is making me say"what" 2200fps is a nice starting load if you don't get 2,450fps+(I get 2600+ with 47grs of Lil gun) or more you need to use a ar15 450 Bushmaster as you have dumbed your AR10 down to a AR15.This is what my 250gr FTX bullets with a COL of 2.33 look like in a real good feeding ASC metal mag.The follower on the ASC fixes everything I have tried it all.Arne Brennan the designer likes IMR 4227 for 45 Raptor at 40+ grains (I am quoting him on this).I use LIL gun,but I am sitting on 8 pounds of the same lot so I am consistent where as LIL gun lot to lot is known for inconsistency.I tell people use pointed bullets like the FTX and Barnes TSX.As far as case pressure I have pushed the 250gr to 2700fps and no pressure signs,but the chamber is lose in a Satern barrel so you get big case expansion and it sucks resizing.I slowed mine down to 2600fps to gain accuracy(which I did 1 moa).The case pressure capabilities for the Raptor is the same as a 308 case not a 460 smith therefore the load comparison don't apply.I do cut my mag springs to make them softer as they are going up a steep ramp and heavy pressure will mar the brass on the metal feed lips.

Comment

I cast a soft plastic spacer out of the front of a Promag 25 round magazine and hand filed it to fit the one round I had.
                      The Gen 3 follower is perfect for trimming to length.
                      I am making a mold to cast it out of stronger plastic so I can have a few as once I get it up and running, I like to store my rounds in magazines ready to go.
                      I just ordered a bag of 250 RAPTOR brass cases.
                      The only bullets I could find local were the 230 grain XTP (limited maximum FPS) so I also ordered 2 boxes of the XTP MAG from Midway.
                      Now I need to buy an inexpensive chronograph to test them out.
                      I will probably die with a bunch of full magazines stored away but feel better having them around just in case.

Comment

I believe what some people think is bullet setback and getting high pressure signs and blown primers my be the exact opposite. I have found if there is not enough neck tension and crimp when the round is chambered from the magazine with to little neck tension the bullet is moving forward and forcefully engaging the rifling and causing overpressure with max or near max loads and no bullet jump. Heavy bullets with the rapid forward movement of the bolt carrier will do this. Do as I did and feed several rounds from the mag with a locked open bolt and then extract them and see if you get a case with no bullet and powder going everywhere or your col has increased. Once I had the proper neck tension all of this went away. Hope this helps, good shooting!

Comment

Working...
                        X