X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5 Grendel Load Data - Best Performing

In the AR15, my top performing accuracy load has been 27.6 grains of N133 using a CCI450 primer with the Lapua 108 Scenar seated to 2.250". This load is listed in the vihtavouri loading manual and was pressured tested by Lapua / Vihtavouri in a CIP acceptable pressure breach.

Another favorite load in the AR-15 is the Nosler 100 Ballistic Tip using 29.5 grains of N322 using a CCI450 primer. This load also works well with the Nosler 100 grain Partition.

What is your favorite 6.5 Grendel loading data ?
    Last edited by tx65; 01-19-2011, 17:55.

My current go to load is using the 100gr Nosler PT and 30.5gr H335 with a CCI#41 primer I have yet to recover a bullet from this load it almost always is a complete passthru.

Another favorite load is useing the Speer 120gr hotcor (or Sierra 120gr gameking nearly the same bullet with a thinner jacket) over 30.2gr Reloader15 with a CCI#41 primer

Comment

Originally posted by tx65 View Post
      In the AR15, my top performing accuracy load has been 27.6 grains of N133 using a CCI450 primer with the Lapua 108 Scenar seated to 2.250". This load is listed in the vihtavouri loading manual and was pressured tested by Lapua / Vihtavouri in a CIP acceptable pressure breach.

Another favorite load in the AR-15 is the Nosler 100 Ballistic Tip using 29.5 grains of N322 using a CCI450 primer. This load also works well with the Nosler 100 grain Partition.

On March 6, 2006, Arne Brennan achieved a witnessed 1.198 inch 5 shot group at 660 yards using the Lapua 108 Scenar Projectile with N133 powder... no voodoo or black magic powder / bullets there
      Yeah, I guess you could say that. Amazing is all I can say. Shooting like that involves much more than just the proper load selection. Nothing beats experience. While I've got a few years of SWAT team experience it wasn't as a sniper. I was the burnt offering that brought the door down.

Comment

Hi,

From my 16" AA AR15 upper (1/7,5"), I get the following results :

Bullet : Lapua Scenar 123 gn
        Case : Lapua (once fired)
        Primer : CCI 450
        Powder type and weight :VV N140, 28,7 gn
        Speed (chronoed @10 meters) : 690 m/s (2263 fps)
        Accuracy @ 100 m (110 yards): 20 shots in a 35x18 mm square (1,37"x0,70")

Bullet : Norma FMJ 120 gn
        Case : Lapua (once fired)
        Primer : CCI 450
        Powder type and weight :VV N530, 27 gn
        Speed (chronoed @10 meters) : 728,7 m/s (2389 fps)
        Accuracy @ 100 m (110 yards) : 10 shots in a 30x20 mm square (1,18"x0,78")

I have not tried yet the load Tx65 writes about (27,6 N133 and LS 108gn) it shall be done this afternoon, once I have reloaded a batch of 20.

I tried manufactured Hornady Amax but could not get any better than 6 inches 20 shots groups (yes six inches) from my barrel at 110 yards....Maybe the speed obtained 765 m/s (2509 fps) and the bullets are not adapted to my barrel's rifling twist...or length. Strange because they are supposed to match together as the advertisement says. I shall try them soon in my next bolt action.

I shot more than 300 of these rounds with my AR, taking time to aim properly and let barrel cool down, from prone position, front bipod, barrel cleaned or not...it did not change a great deal.

That is maybe out of my barrel's "sweet spot".
        Do you have any other explanation?

Best regards from Europe.

C.

Comment

Is the Vihtavouri powders stick or ball? More specifically the N133 and N140?

Comment

Originally posted by rcd567 View Post
            Is the Vihtavouri powders stick or ball? More specifically the N133 and N140?
            Stick Powders. The N100 Series powders are single base, N500 Series are double base powders.

N140 / N540 are comparable to Varget or RL15.

N133 is one of the classic PPC bench rest powders.

N530 is just a tad slower than N133 and very close to N135.

Comment

Is your preference standard jacket or moly????

Comment

Originally posted by rcd567 View Post
                Is your preference standard jacket or moly????
                standard jacket (no moly) on bullets 81-114 grains has been my preference.
                Last edited by tx65; 02-24-2011, 09:20.

Comment

CCI450 primer
                  Is this the magnum primer?

What brass are you using, Lapua?

Comment

Originally posted by Quiettime View Post
                    Is this the magnum primer?

What brass are you using, Lapua?
                    CCI450 is a small magnum rifle primer

Only brass I have used is the Lapua

Comment

Thanks TX

Comment

Arne,

I've noticed you really like the VV powders. I don't have ready access to them locally, but have Ramshot powders, AA, Winchester, Hodgdon available on the shelf.

Do you have recommendations in those powders?

Comment

Bill

A good alternative to n133 or n530 are powders like H322 and IMR 8208 XBR if you want to stay with extruded. 8208 is also very popular with 308 Winchester shooters so it can do double duty.

Western TAC, H335 and BLC2 did ok, but they are not my favorite and I don't like the temp stability of ball powders since I shoot 6 months of the year at 95 degrees with 80-90% humdity.

I know it flies in the face of many who think they have to throw larger bullets like the 123 Lapua because of its BC, but I have used the 108 Lapua with the vv powders and IMR 8208 in 1000 yard f-class matches and it out performs any 123 / AA2520 combo I ever tried at any distance.

If you want to bump up the BC of the 108 Lapua, point the bullets with whiddens pointing die.

Arne

Comment

I've read H322 is great in the 6.8, would N133 work well in the 6.8 as well?

Another question too, what about enlarging the flash holes in the Lapua brass, I've read they are on the small side for decapping pins, have you found this to be an issue and if so would you recommend enlarging?
                            Last edited by Quiettime; 03-08-2011, 23:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiettime View Post
                              I've read H322 is great in the 6.8, would N133 work well in the 6.8 as well?

Another question too, what about enlarging the flash holes in the Lapua brass, I've read they are on the small side for decapping pins, have you found this to be an issue and if so would you recommend enlarging?
                              On the 6.8 SPC, N133 would probably work well with the bullet weights favored for that cartridge. I am sure IMR 8208 XBR would perform as well.

Sinclair makes a tool that will let you just barely open up the flash holes. However, if your dies resizing dies were made properly, the de priming pin should be correctly sized for the small flash holes.

On my 308 W, I use small primer / small flash hole 308 W brass, I quick call to Redding and I was able to get a small flash hole de-prime pin.

Comment

Working...
                              X